soon-to-be

soon-to-be
soon-to-be organic girl (with not-so-excited-about-it son) ~Beth

Monday, June 20, 2011

Revelation due to Confession

Days of WG30: 20

First of all, I apologize for going so long without posting anything.  Although there is no excuse for not keeping you posted (all 3 of you), I have a really good excuse if you want to hear it?  I will spare you the details…ah who am I kidding, that is the juiciest part!  So it’s been 20 days and I’m pretty proud of myself…for the most part.  This past weekend was a test of reality.  I know I’ve said that before but I guess there is a new situation occurring weekly that puts me in a position of choosing.  Choosing between healthy and not-so-much-healthy (I’m pretty sure that’s a word).  This week started smoothly with the regular grind of work and life.  Then came Thursday night, my son was sick all night and into the morning.  I am a person who thoroughly enjoys her sleep and needs a minimum of 6 hours to be the charming, spunky, self I am J.  Working on 3 hours of sleep Friday morning, I wake up and really want to grab that Costco chocolate muffin my husband left out (in fact, I might trade sick child for it).  But I push on and prepare for the barrel race that nigh and a weekend hauling all over Washington for rodeos. 
Friday night, after the race, a group of friends wanted to go out to dinner.  Although I packed a cooler full of yummy organic food (I even prepared salads ready to eat!), I am not one to miss out on a good time so I partook (without taking prepared salad).  Seared tuna with cabbage later, I feel guilt sinking in.  Yes, you heard it, I ordered something off the menu, a non-organic menu.  I went through the range of emotions as if I cheated on something; guilt, anger, reasoning of why it wasn’t a bad thing, etc.  And that’s exactly what I did, cheat on my 100% organic creed.  I am sad I did it, even though it was just tuna and cabbage, typically a good choice for a meal, it wasn’t certified organic.  The remainder of the weekend went smoothly (besides leaving a partial kneecap on the 3rd barrel in Colville, WA ¡ouch!).  Considering we drove over 923 miles (no really, map it: Monroe, Ellensburg, Glenwood, Colville, & back to Monroe) I had plenty of time to really think about my predicament. 

Here is what I have come up with: first, I am adding a day to make up for my 1 meal mess-up, just seems fair.  The new last day on WG30 is July 1st.  Secondly, I couldn’t help but ask, what is a realistic healthy organic lifestyle that I can continue from here out?  And my conclusion is (drum roll please) allowing room for non-organic choices, still healthy choices but allowing myself to enjoy all aspects of life, such as going out with friends to a restaurant of their choice, treating your child (and you) to a scoop of ice cream for a good report card, or enjoying a slice of Aunt Frieda’s red, white & blue cake at the 4th of July bbq.  
This may sound like something a 30 something should know by now, but I think you need refresher every now and then, a detox of sort along with a side of reality check.  With a clear head and clean body I can reassess and go forward with organic confidence (that should be a movie title). 

Thanks again for your support!  ~Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment