soon-to-be

soon-to-be
soon-to-be organic girl (with not-so-excited-about-it son) ~Beth

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Local, A Lot Closer Than I Thought

Days on WG30: 9

I was on my way home yesterday and realized that I haven’t focused a whole lot on “local” organics.  My produce comes from the farm (WGOF) but the other staples I’ve just been buying at the grocery store because it’s convenient.  Just then, I see a sign less than 3 miles away from my house:

I can’t believe it!  Organic eggs so close to where I live?  How cool is that?  So I called and spoke with Deana (pronounced Dean-a) from Bughollow Farm, and explained I don’t know much but I am pretty sure I don’t want duck eggs.  Deana mentioned they were a tasty alternative (her and her daughter have allergies to chicken eggs), and assured me she did have chicken eggs.  She also gave me a good lesson on organic eggs: Did you know Europeans store their eggs in their cabinets?  Crazy right?  Well, apparently if you don’t wash the eggs, a natural exterior lining keeps them fresh for quite a while with no need to refrigerate.  However, if you want to hard-boil them, wash the eggs when you get home and put them in the refrigerator for about 10 days.  Then they are ready to be boiled.  She was extremely knowledgeable and helpful (had some cool egg lingo), I was thankful for her time. 
With my local, fresh organic eggs (stored in the cabinet by the way) I can’t help but feel satisfied for giving my money to a hometown, hardworking small farmer rather than a large grocery store.  Next step to find local meat!
As always, thanks for your support!  ~Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment